Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sets a Record

This quilt set a personal record for the most thread changes on a quilt. Sorry for the blurry photo.

Isn't it a beauty? My customer, also my next door neighbor, designed the border and corner blocks. I think they really set off the quilt.

These are most of the threads that I used. Some I had already put away.

 You would think that with as many threads as I have I'd be able to make a perfect match to every fabric on earth. Sadly, this was not so. I was able to make close matches to most of the fabrics, but some of them I'm not completely happy with the match.

My goal was to provide texture to the quilt, but not interfere too much with the beauty of the piecing. I'm hoping to get the quilt to Norma soon. Hopefully, she will like the results.

Friday, April 26, 2013

A Good Finish

This quilt was a challenge. I loved the quilt, but it had a few technical issues.

Most notably, the left side of the quilt has 21 half-square triangle blocks. On the other hand, the right side has 22. That's a 4" difference.

This lead to a bit of fullness needing to be eased in. I procrastinated working on the final border for an entire weekend.

Finally, I made myself tackle the issue. I sprayed the border with starch and steamed it before stitching. It has poof, but no tucks. I was very happy with the results.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Tuesday, April 9, 2013


The chicks have passed out of the cute and cuddly stage. They still cheep. They've not yet grown into clucking. The coop and run are almost complete. The weather will have to warm up a little before they will be allowed outside. The forecasters are predicting below freezing lows for the next couple of days. The chicks shouldn't be out until the temperatures are closer to 60 degrees at night.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone