Thursday, February 21, 2013

Land of the Free

On our way to Baby Boy's birthday party I delivered this cute quilt made by Mary. If you look closely she included a building for the Quilt Police.

Mary gave me free rein on the quilting. Fun, and intimidating at the same time. I kept thinking, 'I like this, but will she?'






I wasn't settled about all of the quilting when I loaded the quilt. I knew I wanted lyrics in the flag, but I wasn't sure which song.


I decided on the lyrics from chorus of "This Land is Your Land."












The buildings are rather plain. Mostly stitch in the ditch and window panes.

In the sky areas I tried some new ideas.
 I printed out some children's coloring pages as inspiration for the sky. I found a sun, moon, airplane and wind.
































I also threw in some flag poles, corn fields and flowers between the buildings. No pictures of those, unfortunately. This was fun, and fortunately, Mary really likes the result of giving me free rein. My favorite bit is the sun in the corner.


1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh I love how you quilted this one! LOVE that sun!

    ReplyDelete