Thursday, July 4, 2013


I guess it's been awhile since I've posted. Let's see, what's been happening?

Ron Paul, traveling longarm repairman, came and worked on my ailing longarm.

This disgusting glop came out of the gear box under the bobbin area of my machine. The grease in the gear box had begun to separate, not good. He also had to put a lot of grease into another fitting at the back of the machine. The poor man worked for nine hours before the machine was back in good working order.

 It's back to stitching like a dream, thank goodness.

One of the local guilds, Thumb Butte Quilters Guild, had their quilt show. Loads of beautiful quilts. I spent some time one of the days demonstrating string quilting.

Dear Motorcycle Dude had outpatient surgery (no photos, he'd not be happy about pictures). He's healing well, though still a little sore. He had his post-op appointment yesterday and he is now released to drive, though he's not allowed to lift more than 25 pounds for the next five weeks.

Our Old Red Dog developed an abscess from a spider bite, and that has required a few visits to the vet. He still has the drain, and he's not allowed outside without our supervision.

My fingerprints have cleared, and I have attended orientation so that I might volunteer in the local schools. Students return to school in early August, so now I'm all ready to read with students.

We have had two wildfires burning near us. The Doce Fire, about 5 miles north of us, started June 18. It remains at 96% containment and 6,767 acres have been burned. There is also the Yarnell Hills Fire, about 15 miles south, that has burned 8,400 acres, and is about 45% contained. This fire tragically took the lives of 19 firefighters from the local Granite Mountain Hotshots unit. The fires haven't affected us physically, or threatened our home, but they are emotionally draining.

I've been trying to get some quilting done in between all the doctor visits. I did quilt this quilt that will be the gift for the out-going president of the Thumb Butte Quilters. There is a small quilt going over the large dark rectangle. I'll try to get a picture of it when they present it on Monday.

In the waiting rooms I've been working on this. The diamond papers are from Paper Pieces. I ordered them when I ordered the itty bitty hexies. I've decided I like English Paper Piecing for travel projects. The papers provide the accuracy, so I can stitch without worrying about accuracy. Nice when there are other things going on around me.

Today is Independence Day, so there will be some barbeque happening this afternoon. However before that, there will be some catch-up quilting for me. I'm listening to The Dark Monk while I work. It's the second book in the Hangman's Daughter series by Oliver Pötzsch. I'm finding that listening to books is really helping me to get caught up on my quilting.

So, that's what's been going on in my neck of the woods. What's been happening in your neck of the woods?

Have a good day!

1 comment:

  1. whoa you have a lot going on! glad hubby is doing well. Love the quilts from the show-beautiful! Glad you got your longarm up and running again-that's a lotta gunk-scary looking! I've only read the first of the hangman series (the hangman's daughter) loved it. Our Otis has either a pulled muscle, torn tendon--Vet has to do an x-ray but wants him to take it easy (as in stay in his bed (yah right) and only out to 'use the facilities' :) Poor guy probably thinks he's been bad-not allowed to romp all over the place.
    hope your's is all better soon!