Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Coming Up For Air

Boy, oh boy, do I wish I did a better job of estimating time! I way overbooked myself for July and August. I quilted 8-10 hours a day 7 days a week, except for my brief foray into soap making. I was doing pretty good, at first. Then I hit the two quilts that I estimated would take about 10-15 hours each. Wrong! They each took 30-40 hours.

 
 This is Hyde Park. It was designed by Judy Laquidara for SewBatik. This was one of the ones that threw me a loop.


I also quilted this one, though the picture is from Marti Michell's web site, since I forgot to take a picture of my customer's quilt. This was the second one that threw me a loop.





















Then we have Cats. A panel but with custom quilting.


 I'm not sure of the name of this quilt. I called it "All Angles," though I know it is a published pattern.










There were also 4 others that I forgot to take pictures of.  I'm bad about remembering photos.

Then there was the beautiful 50th anniversary quilt.
 
 This is "Come September."




I had started it. Liked the way it was looking, feathers, metallic threads, detailed background fill, stitch in the ditch around the applique.


Then I advanced the quilt, and saw to my horror, that I had the top turned sideways on the directional backing. This was not OK. My dear Motorcycle Dude came to my rescue. He spent 50 hours ripping out the quilting while I worked on other quilts that had deadlines. In the evenings we would both work at ripping. Each of us tackling one end of the border.

I spent several very late nights making sure that I would have the quilts finished in time for the trip to California to deliver them. I even had to delay my departure by a day to get them all done. They were delivered, and all were pleased with the results.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful work.. but I bet you were glad to see the back of all those quilts.

    I've often wondered how people estimate the time they're going to need to actually quilt a quilt.

    ReplyDelete