Friday, November 20, 2009

How do you decide?

I've been given an opportunity to participate in an exhibit at a large local quilt show. Everyone that is participating in the exhibit has the same design for their top. The exhibit is to demonstrate how the quilting of a top changes the look of the quilt.

The project was given to me in a rather round about way. The person that first received the top decided she didn't want to participate, so she gave it to me.

I'm a part-timer, a nobody in the quilting world, but I want to knock their socks off with my quilting.

This is the top that I was given.








These are some of the ideas that I'm playing around with. But, I'm not 100% sold on any of them. I just can't decide, and I don't have lots of time to hem-and-haw. This top has to be done and returned to the show people by December 1. I have several customer quilts that I have to finish before I can work on this. I'm on Thanksgiving break right now and will have to finish it before I return to work on November 30th..

I look at it and think, pearls in the spines of the feathers? no pearls? simple feathers? innovative feathers? give it all up and do an edge-to-edge design?
arrgghh!!

I know that part of my problem is that I'm placing so much importance on the project, but I really do want to wow them.

















3 comments:

  1. Feathers are a MUST (but I tend to feather everything!). I like the clean lines of a single-spine feather myself (like those you have in the bottom left corner of the picture). For sure I would do a feathered vine in a wonderful variegated thread going around the outer border. What about a wine-glass filler instead of the flowers just outside of the yellow block? That would be beautiful in a small scale and be quicker than stitching flowers. Any way you go about this, for sure it will be WONDERFUL, so just relax, go with your heart, and ENJOY the process!!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know about "them," but you have certainly wowed me! It's looking super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feathers are so much fun to stitch. I'm taking your advice Kat, and relaxing about it.

    Lindah, thanks. I just need to stitch it as well as I drew it. :)

    ReplyDelete