Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Little Pillow and a quilt


This is a pillow that I made for DGD1. I made the maverick stars on Quiltville. It's a little lumpy. I didn't use a pillow form. I just stuffed it with fiberfill. I think it would have been much better had I taken the time to buy a pillow form.





This quilt is in the final stretch for being finished. All it needs is the binding stitched down. I started this when Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville was having Super Bowl Twist weekend. The quilt is her Strip Twist pattern. I've had the top done for awhile. It just needed quilting. Do any of you other longarmers ever feel guilty for squeezing in your own quilts between customer quilts? I sure do, but I did it anyway. I justify it by telling myself that I'm using my quilts to practice.





I did practice with this one. The quilting doesn't really show up on the front, perfect for practicing. A busy back would have been even better, but the plain back helps me better evaluate my quilting. Feathered wreaths are not easy for me. I'm never quite satisfied with the way that the feathers look. I did some non-traditional feathers so that my wonky feathers would, hopefully, just blend right in. From a distance it doesn't look half bad.

3 comments:

  1. Your feather wreaths are fantastic. I love the look of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I love the feathers shown on the backside of your quilt. I want to be like you when I grow up. As for the lumpy pillow, what I do when I don't have a pillow form is take 2 high loft batting squares the size of my pillow, stitch them together on three sides, stuff and stitch the fourth side closed. In essence, I make my own pillow form and the lumps aren't as noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I left a comment before, and it just disappeared. I just wanted to say that your quilted feathers are amazing! I don't see anything wonky at all -- they're all beautiful. I really like the Strip Twist pattern and the fabrics you used.

    ReplyDelete