Monday, July 6, 2009

What's on my design wall


Thank you Judy, for your "What's On Your Design Wall?" Mondays. It has been a great incentive to me to get things done.

I finished making all the blocks for Scrap Basket Blues. I should have them put together by this evening.














Next up is a table runner. I am going to be demonstrating making flying geese units at the outdoor quilt show in October. I thought it would be good to have a small project to show some of the units done up. In my usual style I jumped in with both feet and just started making flying geese using Eleanor Burns' flying geese rulers. I like her method because the units turn out the right size every time. There is some waste of fabric (ick), but the ease of piecing the units makes up for that.

I have more of the center units to make before I can begin assembling the blocks.

Anyway, I played with the units with no sashing, and didn't like it. I tried again with some sashing, and I like it better. After I assemble the blocks I might try it on point with setting triangles.

I want to have this done by the end of the month as part of the Charming Girls Quilt Club.








In the new Quick Quilts there is a pattern by Gerri Robinson, Breezy Afternoon, that uses a flying geese unit (flying goose?). I'd like to make some of these also, but I don't know that I'll get to it. I really like this quilt though. It's simple, but it will let you play with colors. That's my favorite part of quiltmaking, playing with colors.







My husband has been brewing beer this morning while I've been working on this blog entry. He's making a stout this time. Dark beers are his favorite. Me? I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I'm glad he has a hobby.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sure your projects will look great when you finish. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post - wow, you sure are ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the blue quilt. I've got that book, and although I usually like to design my own quilts, there are a number in there that I want to do.

    Your geese are looking great, and I'll look forward to seeing the finished runner. Are the blocks your own design?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the first quilt!! And flying geese can be tricky - my friend bought the Elenor Burns ruler - she has not said if she's used it or not, so I am glad to hear good things about it.
    Great job on the projects!! thanks for the insperation!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. QuiltSue sent me over to check out your blog, and I love it! I'm really liking the way your Scrap-Basket Blues quilt turned out.

    The table runner is beautiful. I haven't tried the flying geese ruler, but I've seen Eleanor Burns demonstrate it on her show, and it makes the most perfect units (as evidenced by your blocks!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow -- alot of cute things on the design wall! Love the quilt and the flying geese blocks! Glad you've joined us in the fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing your finished projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colors of your quilt and HEY! I need to get that issue of the magazine! I haven't seen that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the projects you have displayed. I just finished a quilt which had flying geese for the sashing. At one point I wished they had flown away!
    Enjoying quilting with you in the Charming Girls Club!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete